Creamed Corn Cornbread
This is the moistest, most flavorful cornbread you will ever try! It has a quality homemade feel that will stand out at your fall and winter holiday parties. The secret ingredients in this recipe are the creamed corn and the sour cream. And it turns out so much better than using a cheap box mix.
I have been on the search for the best cornbread recipe ever, and this creamed corn cornbread is what I came up with. It took a few tries but this recipe is a keeper. It has a buttery richness, perfect lasting moisture, and the satisfying texture that comes with using corn meal. As much as I appreciate the ease of using a box of Jiffy cornbread, it always feels dry and something about it makes me think I’m eating cardboard.
I wanted a recipe so moist that even the leftovers would taste fresh. The key to this was using sour cream. It is a common ingredient for moistening cakes, and it serves the same purpose here. Half of the time I make this recipe I use store bought sour cream, but since it isn’t something I typically keep on hand, here’s my DIY recipe using heavy cream, milk, and vinegar.
This recipe has real corn in it, giving it a remarkable and fresh texture. For this aspect, I pulled some inspiration from a favorite childhood side dish: Mexican corn cake. I grew up going to the Mexican restaurant Chevys, and they have an amazing corn cake (like this one from Chef In Training) and I wanted this cornbread recipe to have similar sweetness and texture qualities. The can of creamed corn also provides a lot of sweetness, cutting down the amount of sugar to add.
A little upgrade to the recipe that I have tried was using different honeys. It’s facinating that the taste of honey changes based on what the bees are eating. Clover honey tastes different than orange blossom honey, and your local raw honey will have a unique flavor as well. If you want to go a little further, try flavored honeys, you will often find these at farmers markets and you can taste test them from the little straws of colorful flavors. Another idea is to add some Honey Fermented Garlic (just the honey, not the garlic) instead of your average honey to give a really unique depth of flavor. Don’t worry, it doesn’t make the bread taste like garlic!
Creamed Corn Cornbread
- 1 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish or double the recipe and use an 9×13
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup Melted Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/8 cup Sugar
- 1 Can of Creamed Corn (14.75 oz) do not drain
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1¼ cup White Flour
- 3/4 cup Cornmeal
- Thoroughly mix together sour cream, butter, eggs, and honey in a large bowl. Add sugar, creamed corn (do not drain the can of creamed corn), salt, and baking powder.
- Add the corn meal and flour in 3 or 4 smaller batches and mix until just combined.
- Prepare baking dish with a spray of oil or a rub of butter along the sides and bottom. Pour cornbread batter into the dish.
- Bake at 375F for 45-50 minutes. The creamed corn cornbread should be golden and slightly cracked on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread should come out clean. Let cool for at least 20 minutes and enjoy!